22.6.09

You have dominion.

You have dominion,
As I look out,
At the bay of Teignmouth.
My head is drunk,
On the ripples of silent sea,
And the hills; black and green beyond.

My body aches and sways,
As the carriage gives way,
To gentle discrepancies in track.
And I watch sheep now.
Gazing on the slopes,
Down from my position.
And you still have dominion.

Even as the sun peeks out,
From the blanket clouds.
Shinning its light upon,
The woollen coats,
Of these gentle beasts.
And I am happy to see the sun.
And I smile as shapes form,
Unaware on their backs.
And in all this,
Serendipitous glory,
You have dominion.

And now, the journey steers right,
The sun moves left,
And slithers through a thin passage,
Directly onto my face.
And in my arrogance I think,
This sun was made for me and me alone.
And the clouds pull themselves over,
The suns might.
This unique warmth is stolen,
In quick and fickle fashion.

Nothing but steel and stone,
Can hear my joy.
But in all of this,
In all this fake and short ambiguity,
You have dominion!
And I press onward west.

No comments: